Saturday, May 28, 2011

Chardonnay redeemed and other thoughts


Since I've been trying different wines in my search for wine or wino mastery (depends on the day) I've found that either wine is unbelievably more complex than I thought or I am just more of a depends-on-the-moment kind of person than I thought.
I had a red wine the other day that I disliked so much I brought the bottle minus a glass down to my father for disposal (it was a red after all) and then I had a much colder glass of the same bottle at his house and I liked it. A lot. I don't think it was the grass is always greener syndrome but what do I know? Unfortunately the whole reason I started this blog was to write about what I like or don't like immediately before I forgot what it was I drank, and that was a couple of days ago. Therefore I can't be certain but I believe it was Black Swan Cabernet Sauvignon.  I guess I'll have to try it again to be certain.
Back to what was supposed to be the original point.  I had just decided that I'm not really a big fan of chardonnay when I tried Black Swan's Chardonnay.  It is WONDERFUL.  The web page says it's "Medium straw in color with fresh peach, citrus and melon fruit flavors complimented by hints of vanilla." The web page shows a bottle from 2006, and I'm drinking a bottle from 2009, I wonder if that's why the description on the bottle is so different. The bottle states it tastes of tropical fruit with hints of pineapple.  It truly does have a hint of pineapple, both the taste and the nose.  It is beyond a doubt the best smelling chardonnay in memory.
But I have to wonder if I would have thought that I tasted pineapple if I had not read the description on the bottle before tasting it.  Anyone have an opinion of how much of your opinion on a wine is your own and how much of it comes from what you expect it to taste like?

No comments:

Post a Comment